Before installing Proxmox Virtual Environment, it is important to ensure that your server meets the necessary system requirements. This documentation provides an overview of the hardware and software requirements for running Proxmox efficiently.
Hardware Requirements #
Proxmox VE requires a server with sufficient hardware resources to support virtualization and containerization. Consider the following aspects when evaluating your server’s hardware:
- 64-bit x86 processor with virtualization extensions (Intel VT-x or AMD-V).
- Multiple cores or processors are recommended for better performance.
- The specific CPU requirements may vary based on the workload and virtual machine requirements.
Memory (RAM) #
- Minimum 4 GB of RAM is required. However, more RAM is recommended for better performance, especially when running multiple virtual machines simultaneously.
- The memory requirements depend on the number and resource demands of the virtual machines and containers.
- Adequate storage capacity is required to store the Proxmox installation, virtual machine disks, and container images.
- Proxmox VE can be installed on a local disk or a network-attached storage (NAS) system.
- For the installation, a minimum of 32 GB of disk space is recommended. Additional storage is needed for virtual machine disks and container images.
Network Interface #
- A dedicated network interface card (NIC) is recommended for better performance.
- Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) or faster network connectivity is preferred.
- Multiple NICs can be utilized for different network segments and network bonding.
Software Requirements #
Apart from the hardware, there are certain software requirements to consider before installing Proxmox VE.
Supported Operating Systems #
- Proxmox VE is based on Debian Linux and requires a compatible server operating system.
- The recommended approach is to install Proxmox on a bare-metal server with no additional operating system installed.
- Proxmox VE is not compatible with existing installations of other server operating systems like Windows or other Linux distributions.
Web Browsers #
- Proxmox VE is managed through a web-based interface, and it is recommended to use modern web browsers for accessing the Proxmox management interface.
- Popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge are fully compatible with Proxmox VE.
By ensuring that your server meets the hardware and software requirements mentioned above, you can ensure optimal performance and stability when running Proxmox Virtual Environment. It is important to review and understand the system requirements before proceeding with the installation to avoid any compatibility issues.